I have completed another project that has been sitting in my sewing room for ages (at least a year), a tropical/tiki inspired purse. It's not my usual style but I saw one online and thought it looked pretty cute so I figured I would try to make a similar one for myself. I modified an older pattern that I had used before, Simplicity 4759, to make it.
I used upholstery fabric that I found in the sale section of a fabric shop and some leftover cotton for the lining. I think it turned out really cute, I wish I could have top stiched the edges though, they aren't quite as crisp looking as I would have liked. I used a really heavy interfacing though and my old machine just couldn't go through that much fabric. I think with age and some weight it will straighten out a bit better.
Sorry that the pictures aren't that great; I realize now that I had the flash turned off on my camera.
Here is the final product:
I also added studs to the bottom of the bag to make it look a bit more professional.
A tip on studs, when going though thick fabric, press the prongs in to make a slight indent, then use a seam ripper to start the hole. It makes studding a lot easier, I once studded an entire leather jacket this way. Also, when bending over the prongs (on the inside), don't bend them in all the way or the fabric will pucker.
Here's a shot of the lining:
I have a ton of old metal zippers from my punk days so I decided to use one of those, they are all black unfortuately, but I still like that look so I'm fine with the obvious hand stitching on the zipper, not for everyone I realize.
Just looking at this bag makes me think of summer, ahhh, spring is only four to five months away ;)