Amazing Almond Ricotta Cake

Last weekend my parents came over with their snow rake to knock down some of the snow from our roof (we really didn't want to have to climb up there and shovel), so for their help I made a nice big warm meal, finished with a yummy Almond Ricotta cake.
I had never made this cake before and I planned on modifying the original recipe a bit so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. It turned out very, very yummy and moist. Too yummy in fact, I ended up eating at least a quarter of the cake (yes I am ashamed), it took a lot of hard work at the gym last week but I still think it was worth it. My husband even liked it, and normally cake has to have a lot of icing for him to say that I should make something again.

DSC00846

Amazing Almond Ricotta Cake

Ingredients
Cake:
4 eggs
1 1/3 cups of sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp rum
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp almond extract
1 cup + 2 tbsp ground almonds
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Topping:
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
1/3 cup suagr
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp milk
1 cup sliced almonds

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a springform pan with parchment paper (I did bottom and sides).
2. Beat eggs, sugar and oil wih a mixer on high until the mix is thick and pale. Add ricotta, rum, vanilla and almond extract and mix until blended.
3. Add remaining dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined. Pour into pan and bake 40-45 min (until a toothpick comes out clean).
5. While baking, combine ricotta, egg, cocoa, vanilla and all but 2 tbsp of sugar, in a seperate bowl mix milk with 2 tbsp of sugar and toss almonds in mixture to coat.
6. Let cake cool for about 10 minutes then pour ricotta mixture on top and sprinkle with the almonds, put the cake back into the oven and bake at 370F for 15 minutes or until almonds have started to brown.
7. Cool cake, then serve.

This cake ended up tasting even better the next day straight from the fridge, it was still really moist and I think it tasted better cold (although it was still really, really good the day that I baked it).

I am a little ashamed to admit it but I ate a good 1/3rd of this cake, so good, so many miles at the gym and boring bean salads, uuugggggg.

Comments

  1. This sounds so good, we have a family birthday coming up next weekend and I think I'll use this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definately recommend it. It's an adapted recipe from Sugar by Anna Olson (hers was lemon flavoured, which I'm sure was also good).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts