Cornmeal Breakfast

This is a good, filling, healthy breakfast and provides a bit of variety from the usual oatmeal (my husband prefers this to oatmeal, which is another reason that I make it).

DSC00854

Cornmeal Breakfast
Serves at least 4
1 cup of cornmeal
4 cups of water

Or

Serves 2
½ cup cornmeal
2 cups of water

Steps:
1. Combine cornmeal and water in a pot and bring to a boil, stir often to avoid clumps.
2. Once it has reached the preferred consistency remove from stove and serve (I usually cook it about 10 minutes).

Warning: Hot cornmeal can burst out of the pot like lava, so maybe use a lid or watch the heat that you cook it at.

My hubby sees this as a savoury dish where as I like it sweet. He tops his bowl with a bit of margarine, salt, pepper and a sliced hardboiled egg.
I top mine with a bit of milk, chopped fruit (bananas are my fav but I used a peach this time), cinnamon and some raw almonds.

DSC00858

I often make the larger serving and pour the leftovers into a casserole dish, then bake for 20 min at 350F, the result is homemade Polenta (which is good topped with some pasta/tomato sauce).

Comments

  1. Did you realize this is ugali? It's a staple in some parts of Africa. We had a Kenyan friend over who showed us how to do it--cornmeal in boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize this was ugali, you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the tip.

    It turns out that many people (after googling Ugali) agree with my hubby though, that this is best served with butter and as a savoury dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I hadn't ever tried it with fruit before. It actually sounds kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts