Makin' some cornbread

We're having chili for dinner tonight so I figured I would make some cornbread to go with it.

Cornbread

Ingredients
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil

Steps
1. Combine cornmeal and milk, let sit for about 10 minutes

2. Add liquid ingredients, then add dry, stir until it's just mixed*
3. Divide batter into greased muffin tin (should fill 12) and bake at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 min.

*Make sure not to stir too much, otherwise it will not be fluffy, it wil be harder in texture

The longer you let the cornmeal soak in the milk, the less gritty the texture will be. I usually make this in muffin tins but it can be made in a loaf pan. Corn or chiles make good add-in's if you like. I've also made this vegan before (when I didn't realize that I didn't have any eggs), instead of an egg use 1 1/5 tbsp margarine and a little bit extra oil, they turn out pretty good.

These are done when a toothpick comes out clean.

These aren't that healthy but I really like cornbread with my chili.

Comments

Popular Posts