More Christmas Baking

Well, I've been kind of sick the last week and therefore lazy. This weekend I ended up having to catch up on all my regular house chores and do my Christmas baking (since I'm having people pver for Boxing Day). The baking turned out so-so. I made chocolate chip cookies, which were fine but nothing really special, and some sugar cookies, again not so special. The sugar cookies ended up being not very pretty or sweet but I'll set them out with a chocolate fondue so they'll be fine. I wanted to make pretty swirled ones like these: Mine are swirled but not as pretty, damn that Martha Stewart and her perfection!

I did however manage to make some good Rugalach, I've only ever made it with these two types of fillings but I know jam is pretty popular as well. This recipe makes 32 cookies.

Rugalach Cookies:
1 cup butter (room temp.)
250g cream cheese (room temp.)
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt

Cinnamon Filling:
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Chocolate Filling:
1 cup finely chopped chocolate (dark)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Steps:
1. Cream together butter, cream cheese until smooth, then add the flour and salt.
2. Wrap dough and chill for an hour.
2. Mix together filling ingredients (chocolate or cinnamon) and preheat oven to 350F.
3. Cut the dough into 4 pieces and form into balls.
4. Roll each dough ball into round discs about 8 inches in diameter and cut each disc into 8 triangles.
5. Sprinkle filling at the widest end of the triangle and roll (from wide end) inwards like a croissant.
DSC00765
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

DSC00766

Comments

Popular Posts