Cookies, Holiday Baking Part I

Well, it's my birthday weekend and I'm too busy to really celebrate. I have a weekend course and my husband has a final exam today (Saturday) in French that he has been really stressing about. He's tried his best, he made dinner and bought me a knife set (??????), so I made him some cookies. Ok, maybe they were for me too. I've been in a baking mood lately, maybe it's because we're getting close to Christmas or maybe it's the horrible, horrible cold snowy weather. I ended up making chocolate thumbprint cookies, they were very yummy and I am now planning on making some for Christmas (yes, we ate the whole batch :( ). The recipe called for kraft caramels (which I didn't have) so I used what I though were butterscotch filled chocolate cups, they turned out to be mini-cups. I think this recipe would have been great the original way or with Rolos. It makes about 2 dozen cookies.

See how tiny these cups were? They didn't even fill the thumbprint!:

DSC00756

Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
24 candies (rolos, caramels or chocolate cups)
1 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Steps:
1. Seperate your egg (reserve the white for later). In a bowl cream (combine) the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg yolk, vanilla and milk.
2. Add flour, cocoa powder and salt, mix well. *
3. Refrigerate for 2 hrs or so until dough has cooled and it easy to roll.
4. Pre-heat overn to 350 F. Shape the dough into balls and roll in egg white, then pecans to coat.
5. Place the cookie on the sheet and use your thumb to make an indent in the centre (this is the thumbprint part). Place a candy in each "thumbprint."

DSC00754
Here are my deformed cookies pre-baked.

6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges of the cookie are firm.

*recipes normally have you mix the dry ingredients seperatly, then mix with the wet ones but I'm pretty lazy about this and just add them all in at once. I've yet to have a problem, but I would say do it whichever way you prefer.

Stay tuned for more Christmas baking in the weeks to come...

Comments

Popular Posts