Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot pie!

My husband requested this one, but he wanted a "healthier version." I'm not actually sure it's possible to make a "healthy" pot pie because of the crust but I gave it a go and tried to modify the filling to make it slightly better. To start with, I eliminated the bottom crust, which I think helps and then I added some lentils for fiber-rific goodness.

Chicken Pot Pie Filling:


3/4 onion chopped
2 chicken breast chopped (boneless-skinless)
2 small potatoes chopped
1/4 cup frozen peas
handful of chopped green beans
1/4 cup lentils
slat & pepper to taste
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp oregano
1 tsp of cayanne (more or less depending if you like heat)
1 cup of milk
2 cups of chicken broth (salt-free is best)
1 tbsp oil
1 tbsp flour (to thicken)

Saute the chicken and onion in the oil, add other veggies and cook until the veggies are slightly soft. Add pretty much everything else. Simmer until lentils are starting to soften. You may need to add more liquid as you go.
Once cooked, sprinkle flour over the top and stir in while mixture is simmering. Pour into a casserole dish and top with crust.

My Amazing Pie Crust (makes one top or bottom shell, double for double crusted pie):

1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter (I don't actually use butter, use marg)
1 1/2 tbsp shortening
1/8 cup ice water

Pie crust is very simple, I'm not sure why so many people claim to have issues with it. Basically all you do is put your dry ingredients in the bowl, then blend in your shortening/fats until it has a crumbly texture. I like to use a pastry blending as it works much better than a fork.
See the picture below:


Add your wet ingredients and slightly knead (roll into a ball). Just do it until all the dry ingredients are combined, over kneading will make it less flakey. Then refrigerate for a bit (I usually do this for maybe 10 minutes, if that. Then you can roll it out.

This time I used plastic wrap underneath and flour on the rolling pin to prevent sticking. It worked fairly well until I dropped the crust trying to move it near the casserole dish to put in on top.
*****Note to self: moving the casserole dish to the crust is easier than moving the crust to casserole dish****
This is my pretty marble rolling pin. It is very heavy and soooo much better than my wooden one.

Anyway, roll the crust on top of your filling and squish the edges down against the dish. Poke a few holes in the top with a fork or cut out a few pretty shapes to allow steam to escape. Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is brown (350F).

Verdict: Not bad at all, but I should have used a bit more salt to compensate for the salt-free broth/boullion. Not really healthy but we both liked it.

Comments

Popular Posts