March 31, 2011

What I’m working on...

I’ve had the fabric for this dress for months now but I’ve been procrastinating on making it. I think because I’m not crazy about the fabric and I’m a bit unsure on the pattern. Don’t get me wrong, the colour is nice and the pattern is pretty, but now I realize it just isn’t a very practical dress. It may be too dressy for my lifestyle. The fabric is a crepe backed satin and plan to use the crepe side as the good side, so it won’t be as flashy (as the satin side would have been). I am going to power through it the dress because I am not going to let myself buy any more fabric until this dress is complete. This will be a big motivator since I have recently bought a few (okay maybe more than a few…6 or 7) that I really want to make up. I actually wore my red dress out for dinner and to the bar last weekend, and received a few compliments from strangers, so I am feeling better about my sewing, this one might turn out really well. DSC00956 I have the dress mostly cut out (I haven’t cut the interfacing yet) and am planning to start sewing this weekend. Stay tuned…

3 comments:

  1. I think it's a really pretty dress but I totally understand your reservations. I have a Retro Butterick issue from the same range and am undecided whether to make it or sell it on ebay as I'm not sure it's 'me'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooohhh I can't wait to see this made up! I think it will be fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your sentiment, however, my experience tells me that you always have to have a fancy dress or party dress in the closet waiting for "the perfect occasion. It may be that dress, looking forward to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete