March 23, 2011

Homemade Protein Bars

I’ve been working late again this week and end up being too tired when I get home to really do anything at all. The only thing I managed to do was make some food, there is always time for food. I made my first attempt at protein bars following a recipe found here. It’s basically a 1:1:1 ratio of protein powder, oats and nut butter or oil. I measured out the oats and powder but then didn’t on the nut butter (I used a mix of all natural peanut butter and some hazelnut/almond butter) so I ended up needing to use a bit of olive oil to add moisture to the mix. The result was a bit of a sticky mess but I managed to cram the dough into 12 muffin tins. The turned out really, really yummy and taste just like cookies. Of course this was probably to be expected considering they are just vanilla flavoured powder, oats and fat (nut butter), basically a cookie.

DSC00912

Protein Bars:
1 part whey isolate protein powder, any flavour (I used vanilla)
1 part oats
1 part nut butter or olive oil

If I were to make this exact recipe again I would cream the fats and powder together first, and then stir in the oats. Like I said, these were really good but they are clearly high in fat, I had one the next day and going by the now translucent paper muffin cup these babies would pass the Dr. Nick Riveriera test. If your work out goal includes not looking like such a wimp gaining some mass, then these would be great for you. These were good and I would probably make them again but they gave me an idea for my own recipe so I will probably try that out next. In the mean time I have a dozen yummy “cookies” waiting to be eaten in my freezer.

I also made some whole wheat/ “mixed grain” bread. It turned out ok, but it was a bit heavy/dense. Every time I make whole wheat bread it’s really dense, I think that I might be using too much whole wheat flour and not enough regular white flour. Any ideas? I know that it’s not the yeast because whenever I make cinnamon buns they are nice and light and fluffy. Are there recipes for light fluffy bread that uses only whole wheat?
DSC00911

No comments:

Post a Comment