March 13, 2011

Easy Breakfast

I’m sure you’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and it really is. A healthy breakfast provides your body with essential nutrients that will help you concentrate, can lower cholesterol, control blood sugar levels and even help with weight loss . I personally am not a huge breakfast eater, not because I don’t like breakfast foods, it’s because I don’t find myself hungry when I wake up, I would prefer to wait a couple of hours, then eat breakfast. Eating a late breakfast isn’t really an option during the week for me so I force myself to eat something before I head off to work. I pretty much always end up eating oatmeal. Being a complex carb and full of fibre, oatmeal keep you full longer, plus depending on how you make it, it can be low fat and low calorie. I make my oatmeal in a big batch on Sundays, then scoop out and re-heat what I need during the week. I like it topped off with some extra cinnamon, mixed berries, milk and a handful of almonds. It would be pretty easy to make the morning of though too since I make mine in the microwave.

DSC00900

Basic Oatmeal Recipe
1 cup of oatmeal
1 cup of water
2 tbsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp nutmeg (optional)
Dash of salt (optional)

Stir everything in a large bowl, microwave on high for 1 ½ minutes. Stir and microwave for another 1 ½ minutes. This makes about four days worth of thick oatmeal.

If you do like to eat breakie at work I would suggest putting ¼ cup of oatmeal, some cinnamon, raisins, dried cranberries (or other dried fruit), possibly some sugar if you need it sweet, in a little plastic baggie and taking it to work as a homemade “instant” oatmeal type deal. I recently found a fairly good economical breakdown and tutorial on making your own instant oatmeal packets on this site; although I personally wouldn’t recommend using coffee whitener like they do since who knows what’s in that stuff – they recommend it because it won’t mold or go bad, what does that indicate to you? It’s worth a read though.

No comments:

Post a Comment