February 28, 2011

Fresh vs. Frozen - a Household Tip

DSC00895

While I do buy fresh fruit and veggies there are some that I prefer to buy frozen. Many people think that frozen foods aren't as good as fresh but that's not always the case. If you live in a coldern climate, like I do, for half the year the majority of available produce has been flown in or travelled on a truck across a country or two. Produce begins to looses nutritional value after it is harvested so by the time it reaches the shelves it could have significantly less nutrients than the frozen counterparts. In addition to the nutrient loss during travel time, fresh produce is often picked before it is ripe (at it's peak for nutrients) since it will ripen during the trip. As for those bags of frozen produce, the fruits and vegetables are usually frozen immediately after being picked which is when it's nutrient content is at its peak.

The bags of frozen stuff also save time; you don't have to chop or wash these veggies. I love them for stire fry's since you can just throw everything directly into the wok; no chopping and no waste.

The frozen stuff can also be less expensive than the fresh stuff and sometimes the no name brand is just as good (I find this true for broccoli, cauliflower, peas and brussel sprouts). Plus if I bought too much it doesn't really matter since I just throw the rest of the bag back into the freezer for later (rather than into the compost after it's sat in my fridge for a couple of weeks).

No comments:

Post a Comment