December 5, 2010

Three Bean Salad

We went for dinner at a friends place last night and I offered to bring something. She suggested a side, but she didn't know what she was going to make so I had no idea what my dish had to include (veggies? starch?) or what kind of food it was going to be paired with. She also had no idea whether or not she would have extra space for re-heating. So I made a salad, three bean salad. I like this recipe because it's quick, easy and pretty healthy. I have no idea what a three bean salad is actually suppose to taste like so I am not sure if this is very traditional or not (I've only ever seen it in deli's and it appears to have a vinegarette, please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), so this is my take on a classic deli dish.

DSC00748

Three Bean Salad

Ingredients:
1 can red kidney beans (rinsed)
1 can white kidney beans (rinsed)
2 cups of steamed green beans (cut into bite sized pieces)
1/8 cup olive oil
3/8 cup white vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
4 tsp parsley
2 1/2 tsp cumin
pepper to taste

Steps:
1. After you've steamed and cut up your green beans, combine with the two kidney beans in a bowl.

DSC00746

DSC00747

2. Mix remaining ingredients and pour dressing over the beans. Stir and let sit a bit before serving.

I actually prefer to let this sit for an hour before serving to let the dressing really soak into the beans but it tastes fine served right away.

There you have it, a very quick and easy dish containing veggies, carbs and protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment