August 20, 2010

Freezing fruit

I came across some red currants at the grocery store the other day, you don't see them too often there, and you usually have to go to the farmers markets to get them. They were a little pricey but I figured, what the hey. I probably wasn't going to get around to eating them this week so I decided to freeze them.


I learnt a good freezing method from my grandma, my mother just washes fruit then chucks them in a bag where they then all stick together and you have to pound the bag to get anything out or defrost the whole thing. This is especially terrible for mushier fruits like raspberries, they would always become a big mushed blob, still tasty but not very nice looking and there was always a bag full that we would have to go through at once.

Here is the better way to freeze fruit:
Step 1: wash the fruit (and if needed cut into the size preferred)

Step 2: cover a baking pan with parchment paper (in this case I was out so I used tin foil, this will also work)

Step 3: spread fruit out on pan, try not to have them touching too much

Step 4: place pan in freezer and wait for fruit to freeze (usually one a couple of hours)

Step 5: scoop fruit up and place in a freezer bag, make sure there is as little air in the bag as possible before sealing. It’s probably best to label the bag as well…

This works great because now you have individual frozen pieces of fruit (or berries) that you can easily grab out of the bag as you need them. It takes more time and effort but if you just want four perfect raspberries to use as a garnish you can easily take them out since the fruit isn't frozen together.

No comments:

Post a Comment